Thursday, August 24, 2006

Just Stuff

Lynn had asked me to decode the knitter's language. Simple enough to do. Here are the basics, the ones you read here the most:

KIP~ Knitting In Public. Ya know, at the library while the kiddos drag their feet, at the doctor's while I wait for Hubster. That kind of thing.

WIP~ Work In Progress. Is also a quilting term. Just what it says.

UFO~UnFinished Object. Again, just what it says. Also a quilting term.

DPN~ Double Point Needles. AKA Sock needles or giant toothpicks as I've seen them described around blog land.

Frogging~ Ripping something out as in to start over. Called Frogging due to the rip-it, rip-it sound we knitters sometimes hear. Also referred to occasionally as heading to the pond.

LYS~ Local Yarn Store (or Shop). Something my area is sorely lacking. The closest one is over an hour away, at least. Thank heavens for the Internets and good old mail order!

SPI~ Stitches Per Inch. Or otherwise known as gauge. Very important for fit and also quite a filthy word for some knitters. As in of the 4 letter variety at times.

Big thanks to MCM for her kind words on Miss E's socks. After consulting with my sister who enters open class things each year, I have decided that entering just the socks is not worth the $20 exhibitor's pass it would cost me. Who really needs a blue ribbon anyway? I think I can buy myself one at the school supply store if I ever remember to go.

And thanks to Ingrid for stopping by. Since she didn't mention if she is a knitter and just fearful of socks or not a knitter period, I'd just like to say that learning to knit socks is not at all as hard as it seems. I taught myself from an Edie Eckman(sp?) booklet during a bout of the flu which ran through the entire household population. And I was hooked from the first turn of the heel. It is a truly magical thing for me. So, Ingrid, if you want to learn sock knitting, feel free to ask me questions. I am far from the expert but do my best to encourage others to pick up the needles.

And because school has been on the front burner here, a quiz. Very on target, this one. I AM an unschooler. And while the girls are doing well with the curriculum from OHVA, they are unschoolers at heart as well. Miss E's wealth of knowledge continues to astound me right into silence at times. Her favorite subject is Art which cannot be a surprise to anyone who knows her (or me or the sisters as she calls them). In true artist fashion, a brand new box of 48 Crayolas was greeted with "OH, MY!" and kissing the box.






What Type of Homeschooler Are You?




Salvador Dali Melting clocks are not a problem in your reality. You are an unschooler. You will tolerate a textbook, but only as a last resort. Mud is your friend. You prefer hands-on everything. If your school had an anthem, it would be Dont Worry, Be Happy. Visit my blog: http://www.GuiltFreeHomeschooling.blogspot.com
Take this quiz!








Quizilla |
Join

| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code



ETA: If you followed Jane's link over about bags, email me at sewjillquiltsATverizonDOTnet for custom orders.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately Jill, I haven't knitted since I was about 15. But I am feeling very inspired by all the wonderful things I see knitters making and especially your socks. In fact I have been thinking about socks a lot of late because as I said my daughter is a bit fussy in the sock department. I have been trying to learn to crochet but my mum keeps telling me that knitting is easier, so I am about to take the leap. And luckily we are about to head into summer here, so I will have quite a while to get my knitting up to speed and produce something wearable by the time the weather gets cold again.
I will keep popping back here as I always feel inspired by your lovely creations.

8/26/2006 5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home