Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thrift Store Finds

Late last month, the local Goodwill store closed due to structural problems. Not good news folks. I *heart* the Goodwill most of the time. The neighbor lady had told me about another thrift store in town but I kept missing it during the day. We live in a small town, population 13,000, SALUTE! (HeeHaw anyone?) So having two thrift stores is kind of amazing to me. Yesterday, the girls and I had to pick up requested materials at the library so while we were out, I decided to swing over a few blocks and check the new store out. Can we say SCORE?!!
A quarter a piece and three of them are UNCUT. The apron pattern is too small for me but I'll find some vintage something somewhere to whip one up just because (any "medium" sized cooks out there? Will trade apron for ????) The girls jacket will become a fall item for Miss E using fleece from my JA days. I used to own the very same bathrobe pattern believe it or not and cannot find it now. For a quarter, it was a steal. I'll trace off all the sizes (xs,s and m) to make all the girls robes for Christmas if J&R don't decide to make theirs beforehand. And the bag pattern just was a whim. I like the portfolio type thing and think that maybe after making one, I will be able to adapt it to either a knitting bag of sorts or a quilting WIP bag.

If I had not had my hands full of keys, wallet and finds, I could have easily spent an hour sorting through stuff there. They had stuff the GW never, ever has anymore: pans, pots, dishes, fabric and boxes and boxes of patterns. E found 2 "My Little Pony" things and I snagged 2 old round cake pans for the dog. Total spent: $1.82!


A problem has come to light with the Jaywalker socks. I'm off on gauge which is not all that surprising considering I refuse to knit a swatch for most socks. Seriously off this time. I'm getting over 10spi and the pattern calls for like 9.5spi. So here's the dilemma: Do I frog them or continue and donate to a charity hoping someone can wear them? Anyone? Anyone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Definite score! I need to toddle over to the local thrift stores more often, it seems. I would frog the socks if you aren't too far along, as in ready to kitchener the toe. Socks take so little time that I don't mind pulling them out.

8/09/2006 12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My research shows (I've read on a lot of blogs) that gauge on the Jaywalkers is pretty important. How far into them are you? How in love with the yarn are you? Make a list of pros and cons to decide how much you care. or just throw them in the corner and deal with it later.

8/10/2006 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home