Saturday, July 22, 2006

Some call it progress

I believe Bron charmed this yarn before she sent it to me. After several false starts (wrong pattern, NOT the yarn), I cast on a vintage cardi for Miss E. This is the back. In about 2 days I am nearly to the raglan shaping. Had it not been after midnight when I started it, I might have tried to rewrite the pattern to work in the round but ya know how it is when you just gotta start something right now.

I had the exact same cardi when I was about 12, I think. The pattern came from my grandmother's endless stash of knitting things and has her notations about changes through the booklet. I remember the cardi she made me fondly because she did it up in our school colors and added pockets because I always needed a tissue handy. Every year, she knit us new sweaters. One year it was heavy hooded jackets, another year it was cabled turtlenecks. An endless supply of mittens came from her house as well, which was handy when we had to help Dad with firewood.


Now for socks, which are something I do not remember my grandmother knitting. Although Dad says he thinks she probably did. I remember something about dpns being the devil flying from her mouth when I asked as a teenager. Who knows? Anyhow, I bought this yarn a while back from Jane, promptly forgot about it for a bit. The sunlight washed out the color a bit, it is really almost a country blue I think. I have to admit, I am not crazy about the socks right now. The thought of 2x2 ribbing down another pair made me want to cry even though I love the fit of 2x2rib. So I only ribbed about 2", did an EOP heel and am doing the toe decreases now. The EOP heel adds a smidge of interest to otherwise boring socks and I hope the heels will peek out under jeans this fall with my moc-croc clogs the egg donor gave me. Let me just say that any of these gardening clogs that can be hosed off (or ran through the dishwasher as Heather's hubby does) are a Godsend for me. Tennis shoes kill my back, flip flops hurt my broken toe so the clogs are it, baby! I hope to find them reasonably priced in a variety of colors soon because beige is so not me. lol

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO happy the yarn is working out for you. Lovely reminiscences about your Grandmother too - thanks for sharing. :)

7/22/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

How fun to be able to knit a vintage pattern from your Grandma. The socks look great, too.

7/22/2006 10:48 PM  
Blogger jill said...

Bron: You'll have to share your charming spell with me so that ALL yarn works out so well. (wicked Jill laughter)

Jane: Yes, it is fun to knit the same pattern. I miss her terribly, even after 19 years. I know without a doubt that she is smiling down at all my socks and loving that I'm using this pattern for E.

7/22/2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Yes, beige is indeed so NOT you!

You know, every time I come over here, I start thinking I should learn how to knit...

7/22/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger jill said...

MCM: Yes, you should learn to knit. Just think of it as adding to your self-sufficiency skills (more beef for you). Anything I can do to help, just ask. I love that you know beige is so not me! lol

7/22/2006 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home