Thursday, July 20, 2006

Yesterday, the mailman braved the heatwave to leave me a present. I will forgive the fact that he did not knock on the door to let me know it was there, bring it with the rest of the mail (what's up with that?) or put in the usual place because it was a box of yarn from Bron, the cotton queen. I sent her some Reynold's Saucy cotton yarn that drove me batty and she sent me 6 skeins of TLC Cotton Plus in the color Jazz. Can we say "soft"? I have not settled on a project for it yet but am loving it just the same. Thanks, Bron!

Have you all seen these things?
Maybe it is just me, but this is more than a little far-fetched in my opinion. First of all, I have visions of my eyes going bonkers from that tiny light in a dark setting. I also have nightmares about being stabbed with them by people sharing the dark setting with me. Believe me, I am all for knitting in public whenever the mood strikes but in the dark seems a little extreme to me. (this from the woman who sits in her dark house all day and knits. Not midnight dark, rather twillight dark) Don't even get me going on the appearent neon colors they seem to be.

E read an entire book today with very little help from the big folks around here. It took 2 sittings to get through Go, Dog, GO by P.D. Eastman but hey, it's 64 pages long. E is less than thrilled with her success because, get this, the book is not a girlie book. Give me a break. This announcement was a little hard to swallow for this mama. E has loved books from the moment she can remember. Never mattered before what the text was, the art work kept her attention and sparked her desire to learn more. I certainly hope this is just a phase. J reminded me this afternoon that she went through the same thing at about the same age because she could read long before we realized it and therefore was bored to death for a few months in public school. Her advice was to work harder with E, even when she throws a fit, because in a month or two, she will be tackling Junie B Jones on her own. I think she is right and that scares me in a way.

E also decided today would be the day she would count to 100 by 1s because her buddy C can do it. Now before I get an angry email saying all kids should be able to count to 100 by age 5 or 6, let me say that we tend to be unschoolers by nature. That is, child-led learning. E knows things about Ancient Egypt I have to look up, things about farming, crops, bugs and animals that astound my father, her sense of color shows she comes from a long line of quilters and she draws almost constantly. I knew she could count for a long time, she just did not realize it. She has counted by 10s to 100 so why this was earth-shaking, I have no idea. Maybe it just was the day for accomplishments. I wish I could accomplish something other than sweating, eating and sleeping.

Yup, the blue socks are at that mid-point where you knit like a fiend and feel like you make no progress at all.I have tried them on 3 times today and swear they are still exactly where they were when I picked them up this morning. How can that be after what feels like hours and hours of knitting? Surely, I should be nearing the toe by now. Maybe I will be ready to Kitchener them now? Nope. Hubster thinks I am nuts for trying them on as I go instead of measuring them but I get a better fit this way. Or so I think.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully you'll enjoy working with it more than the Saucy! Glad you liked it. :)

7/20/2006 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS. - Light up needles? Unreal!

7/20/2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Way to go E! We un/homeschool too, and it's always so cool to see that 'I did it' moment.

I love the cotton - I'm going to have to check and see if my LYS has it (more likely Jo-anns though - isn't TLC a coats and clark brand?). The colors look perfect for a light beach coat or cover up.

7/21/2006 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Junie B. Jones! How I love that gal...especially the stupid stinky bus. Even though my boys are way past that stage, I still have my Amelia Bedelias, my Junies and all my favorite Robert Munsch. No wonder I don't get much else done!

Way to go, Miss E!

7/21/2006 4:01 AM  
Blogger jill said...

Bron: Am loving the yarn! I wonder, could I knit myself some new bath towels with it? It's just that comfy!

Amanda: Our poor mailman. We're blessed to have such a great guy as our regular. He's watched 2 of the 3 girls grow-up, literally. I will miss him when he retires in a few years.

Anna: Welcome! Thanks for the comment. Yes, TLC is a Coats and Clark brand. Heavenly stuff, let me tell you. Bron knows her yarn. ;o)

Jan: We have almost all the Junie B books, including the one that was so tattered when E was a babe she accidently tore the cover off. Best books in the world for a grumpy afternoon...Junie can make us giggle.

Lynn: You know your E. And you know me, I would probably deserve being chased with those needles.

Shannon: Delighted to see you over here. I will be making that pressure canner purchase during the next 2-3 weeks, just in time for tomatoes and beans.

7/22/2006 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home