Saturday, July 01, 2006

Creative Goodness

Being creative is pretty much who I am, whether it is with fabric, yarn or the garden. Or at least, garden produce. I present Exhibit P: AKA Garden Candy. Not a single pea made it into a pan...all were eaten raw, straight from the pod.

Now Exhibit S: the altered skirt. I am one of those unfortunate women who lost her figure to childbirth. Major surgery will wreck the muscles every time, let me tell you. Those 4 C-sections were sure worth it though. ;o)I am too lazy to hunt up the pattern, but I'm fairly certain it is a Simplicity. I just had to add a few inches to the hip area for a better fit. I love the skirt. It is comfy, cool and I feel pretty when I wear it, which is saying a LOT because I am not all that crazy about the fabric. It was free, had enough yardage for the pattern and I had no second thoughts about hacking into it for a test fit.

The success I found with the skirt has led me to look at sewing for myself again. Thanks to a great sale (but rather picked over selection) at Joann's, I picked up a few pieces of cotton, 2 patterns and the required notions this afternoon. Not the required notions for the patterns but rather notions running dangerously low in the stash. Stuff like sportswear elastic, thread and machine needles. Both patterns will need some 'fixing' but I feel up to the task. One ( New Look 6565 will be an easy fix, just the addition of a few inches at the side seams. The other, Butterick 4790 will take a little more tweaking to fit my made-for-pregnancy hips but I LOVE that dress. It just screams "I am a woman" to me. I picked up a clearance fabric that seems made for this dress but, as with all perfect fabrics, there was not enough for the entire dress. So I will be hunting for the perfect companion fabric later in the month when I take Athena for her yearly servicing. Have to kill a few hours while I wait for her to be finished (costs an extra $15 but will save $30 or more in gas) so why not hit my favorite Amish country haunts in search of it?

Hubster went to the neurologist today for his degenerative disc disease. Dr C2 said he would not do surgery because it could very possibility make things worse for Hubster with all his other problems. Dr C2 said he could guarantee it would not improve things, so the course is PT and pain meds. We can live with this, we think.

Yes, I do still knit when time allows. Life has been hectic, throwing curves at me I could not fathom until they hit. Hubster's back problems, Friend J's marital problems, Duck's knee replacement this week, no vacation this year, etc. I have struggled to stay positive and make the most of what we have, what we are given and all that but it is hard at times. Extended family offers no support at all. Is it any wonder I find the silence easier to deal with now?

But enough whining. It is late and I want to get up early to sew before everyone else is up.LOL.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Mmmmmmm - I can taste those peas right now!!

7/04/2006 6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peas are supposed to go into a PAN? No one ever told us that!

Good to see you back!

7/04/2006 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home