Saturday, June 17, 2006

Firefly skirt


There are no fireflies on the fabrics yet it's the firefly skirt. Why? Because I know it will be the princess skirt and princess skirts make me think of Faith Hill's Firefly song.

Fireflies (written by Lori McKenna)

Before you met me I was a fairy princess
I caught frogs and called them princes
and made myself a queen
Before you knew me I traveled
'round the world
I slept in castle and fell in love
Because I was taught to dream
I found mayonnaise bottles and
poked holes on top
to capture Tinkerbell
and they were just fireflies to the untrained eye
But I could always tell

Chorus:
I believe in fairytales and dreamers dream
like bed sheet sails
and I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
anything I can to get by
and fireflies

Before I grew up I saw you on a cloud
I could bless myself in your name and
pat you on your wings
Before I grew up I heard you
whisper so loud
"Life is hard, and so is love, child"
Believe in all these things
I found mayonnaise bottles and
poked holes on top
to capture Tinkerbell
and they were just fireflies to
the untrained eye
But I could always tell

(Chorus)

Before you met me I was a fairy princess
I caught frogs and called them prince
and made myself a queen
Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
and I slept in castles and fell in love
because I was taught to dream




E, I hope you will always see Tinkerbell in the swarms of fireflies, that the memories of this skirt will be followed by memories of being a queen (but not of Butler, that's Aunt Jan's title.lol), of sleeping in castles and that you will always believe in miracles and Peter Pan. As Great-Grandma S. would have said: "Wear it in good health, my dear."

And yes, this skirt was really made in an afternoon. About an hour give or take a smidge. I still have a touch of finishing work to do when the ribbon arrives. The girl lives in skirts, so I imagine she will ask for another tiered skirt at least. Nothing like watching the stash dwindle and knowing the finished product will be well-loved. Better than chocolate.

Note to the baby-sock buyer (blogless)...if you want baby colors, you special order the yarn and pay for my time instead of the flat $5/pair rate. No one twisted your arm..you asked if I'd sell some. Custom orders cost more. A LOT more. Remember that,if you can. Also, remember circumstances dictate I stay at home with the family so this is my way of making a few extra $$ once in a while. I'm not 'fortunate' like you: no kids at home, steady job and tons of free time. My time is worth more than you are willing to pay most of the time. I take pride in my work, the time to do the job RIGHT...you get what you pay for. A lesson I doubt you have learned yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Another darling skirt! It's such a cute style and I love the fabrics.

6/17/2006 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my boys were very young, they would turn the pockets of their jeans inside out and tell me that those were their wings.

They would then jump off the picnic table and then...for a split second...they were flying!

They would do this over and over...flying each time until they made a believer of me.

I never jump off picnic tables these days, I hate to think of what would happen, but I do think that if I did, I'd fly too.

PRINCESS E is a beautiful young lady who lives in a castle (most people are too ordinary to recognize it as such).

As long as her Mommy keeps feeding her spirit, she'll never lose her magic wand, she'll always dance with the fire flies and wear floaty skirts and maybe someday she'll have a magic picnic table and will teach her kids to fly!

Keep dancing, Princess E!

Auntie Jan,
Queen of Butler!

6/18/2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

"People have no clue how time consuming it is!"

My eyes are rolling. Or they think it's such a privilege for you to be able to do it that you shouldn't charge for your time! Ah, when the revolution comes.... ;-)

Very cute skirt. If it wasn't for the fac that my daughter utterly destroys all her clothes within minutes (hours at the most), I'd make her one. As it stands, not a chance.

6/18/2006 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home