Saturday, April 15, 2006

I got the funk from Jane

Or maybe I gave it to her? Whichever way it works, this funk is nasty. Being in the knitting slump is awful. Being trapped in an all-over funk is hell. Pure and simple. I keep making the blog rounds hoping to find something to bump me out of it but no help to be found yet. Bron is cranking out stuff at her usual amazing pace while dealing with the decline of her mother. Dooce is putting up the humor faster than I can catch my breath. My own children are cranking stuff out at an alarming rate.

TMJ is an aspiring writer. No, she IS a writer. Talented beyond belief for a kid of nearly 15, she churns out CSI fanfics at something like one a week. Not one page a week, an entire STORY. Then she posts them online at some forum she found and enjoys pretty big success. Something like 16,000+ hits on just one story of hers. Yesterday while I was off corralling the out-of-control construction office, the kiddo wrote over 2000 words in 2 hours. While watching her sisters, working on the laundry and doing up the dishes.

Miss E has tackled her math book at the rate of 9 pages a day. Mind you, it's kindergarten work but still...9 pages a day? That is on top of an hour or so of art work per day, barbies, reading and playing outside for hours. Geehz, give me a break already.

We have Rockin' R who is plowing through an HP book. She will work on one for weeks until she's bored with reading, then lay it aside for weeks or months until she is ready to jump back in. Then she spends the majority of every day with her nose buried in the book. Not bad for a kid who just a year or so ago hated to read.

Then we have me, lost in the doldrums and marital discord. Awash in the teenage hormone sea, battling the kindergarten independence movement and just generally ready to R-U-N-N-O-F-T. Sometimes being the glue of the family is a real strain on a person. Keeping things together and organized takes so much more energy and time than many realize. One of the many being the Hubster. He is more than content to be a passenger on the USSDuckwaddle than a crew member. And not just any passenger but the one who yells from the chaise lounge "Turn the boat, I'm getting too much sun". Yeah, you get the idea.

So is it really any wonder that knitting has hit the brick wall? I have TWO projects on the needles: a baby afghan, still waiting on the longer needle, and a pair of socks. Not just any socks either. The Lorna's Laces Christine sent me in the Yarn Aboard box. I am so in love with the yarn, I hate to finish the socks...just feels like heaven in my fingers. And I have to say, working on these particular socks has been, so far, the best therapy I've had in a while. Words do not exist to describe this yarn or my gratitude to Christine for being such a delightful pusher. I LOVE my Koigu socks so I know these are destined for greatness too. lol

Hoppy Easter...may the Giant Bunny overload your baskets with chocolate and may his small followers who dwell under the bed be drawn to him and leave so you have more time to knit!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

I recommend socks in bright colors with fat yarn to dispel the funk! Obviously.

4/15/2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My husband was spun from the same fiber as yours, I swear! Good luck with the knitting, mine has suffered as well. I can't wait to experience my first LL yarn. I need to break down and buy some, but I want to wait until I break out of the basic sock pattern first.

4/17/2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

That's enough funkifying now - we're ready for more pictures!

4/24/2006 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home