Thursday, March 23, 2006

Yarny goodness upon my feet


I'm in love with a yarn and its name is Koigu. Another round of thanks to Christine for the yarn crack addiction. Mad wild props going out to my home-girl, Jan for the copy of Queen Kahuna's Crazy Toes and Heels book which I used with Christine's yarn crack to make possibly the best fitting socks in all of Duckdom. Let me introduce them to you now!

Vital stats (you know you want 'em)
Toe-up QK method
US 2 Addi turbos
Koigu KPPPM P 801
7 spi

I had all intentions of putting these away until fall but one final try-on for the picture and well, I just cannot take them off. The only thing I will change about using QK's method is longer cuffs with ribbing starting about an inch above the heel, not as soon as the heel/gusset thing is finished like I did with these. Yes, I had yarn enough to make the cuffs longer but honestly, I was sick of the 2x2 ribbing and wanting to finish them because I needed something to make me feel good. (I ate the supposedly tucked away chocolate Christine sent.) I could sit and work with the Koigu all day long. I was just tired of 2x2 rib.

Just like I am sick of the 5x1 rib on the Manly Sweater for Hubster. I frogged his cardigan because something about it wasn't right. Nothing I could put my finger on, it was just off. Not exactly his style probably puts it best. Anyhow, 3 weeks ago, J, E and I went adventuring and ended up at a huge craft store in Pakersburg called Crafts2000. They had bins and bins of knit and crochet kits reduced to $5. Some were too ugly even to be called sin, but some were rather nice and 100% wool. No name, but hey, it is better than nothing. I dug through the bins to find 5 kits of the same colors, hoping there would be enough to please Hubster and yield a sweater. So far, it's looking like I will have yarn to spare. That is IF the yardage is really close to what I've used so far and all that. The band says approx. 99 yds. I chose the Manly Sweater from SnB because I like how it looks. Let that be a lesson: never make it solely because you like how it looks. I am so far past mastering ribbing, no matter what the stitch count is, I should have passed on this pattern and stuck with the cardigan in the new yarn. At least it required some thinking. Oy. Almost to the armhole shaping for the back. If I can resist the call of sock yarn, I can finish it today and cast on for the front. Hear the laughter?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Ooooh, Koigu! Lovely.

3/23/2006 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home