Saturday, February 18, 2006

Why we never loan patterns out

Or, why I am hunting for something I barely remember. About 12.5 years ago, Hubster's youngest son and his wife were expecting their first child. Being the crafty type that I am, I set out to make the shower gift because I knew no one else would be giving a handcrafted gift. The now Ex-DIL loved the afghan I crocheted for the boy. In fact, all the boys used it and it was one of the few keepsake things they managed to save during a house fire several years ago. She loved it so much that she asked me to teach her to crochet. I got her started and LOANED the booklet to her so she could make whatever. Well, the booklet went MIA and I've wanted to use it several times. Crochet is not my forte but that afghan was fun, easy and oh so neat! Granny squares done up in pastels, joined as you went along. The one I made was similar to a Trip Around the World Quilt. I've searched high and low for another copy of it but since I cannot remember the name or publisher of the book, I am up the shit creek without a paddle. I am hoping maybe some wonderful reader will remember this or perhaps have it in their library and can help me out. I think it was put out by Leisure Arts and it would have been about 1993/93. It was all crochet, all baby afghans, nothing else. I am fairly certain that all the afghans were join as you go.

On the knitting front: Absorbine Jr is my new best friend. The left elbow held up remarkably well today after being liberally bathed in AJ last night. I finished the adorable beret from the Knit Baby Head and Toes book and cast on with more old stash acrylic for a make-it-up-as-I-go scarf. I had hoped to finish the scarf tonight while watching the Olympics with Hubster but somehow, I ended up missing half the broadcast. He is settling in for the night (WE HOPE) and so maybe I can accomplish a bit more before I pass out fall asleep.

Tomorrow's weather forecast is chilling. Suck your breath away cold. Artic chills. Even without the weatherman I would have known it was coming. The birds have been gorging themselves non-stop all day long. A flock of various birds that now includes ROBINS. And a giant woodpecker who is larger than my suet cage. Huge dude. Fat cardinals, chickadees, snow buntings, tufted titmouses (or is it mice?)...a science lesson outside the window every single day. E can identify most species that visit and can even pick out particular ones among the crowd. One sparrow especially who is "pushy". She can kill hours just standing there watching them, counting, absorbing everything birdy.

So E will most likely spend the day by the picture window wishing she could be outside. Hubster and I will be fighting over the remote. He wants the Daytona 500 and I want anything that isn't NASCAR. It is just too darn early for that! J&R may well sleep the day away since it will be entirely too cold to do anything outside save feed the mutt. And yes, he has straw, his house does not open into the wind and he has more than enough shelter. Fresh food and water. And no, I don't believe in bringing him into the house when it is super cold. He usually ends up in the garage with a blanket, straw and endless barking because he cannot see outside. The humans will be well fed as well. Chili is thawing for lunch and steaks are thawing for supper. FREEBIE steaks at that. I love my neighbors at times. :o)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Ok, now I know why I have been missing your blog! I thought I had you bloglined and figured you weren't posting. Come to find out, you aren't on the list. That has been remedied! Whew.

2/20/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger jill said...

I'd been wondering where you were.;o) Glad you remedied things.

2/22/2006 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home