Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back, with Sparse Posting

A souvenir from our vacation was the fabric and pattern for this quilt. I cannot find a link for the pattern but I bought everything here: Common Threads in lovely St. Louis, Michigan....the official center of the mitten. A very cute shop with more creative quilts and ideas floating around than I have seen in a long time. My only complaint was I found it to be very dark inside. Maybe it was just such a bright, sunny day that I was blinded by that but I doubt it. Still, they had a nice selection of fabric and patterns. The quilt is called California Dreamin', a very quick quilt to piece indeed!



The second quilt pieced last month is this Album quilt. Yes, there is a mistake in the picture but it's been corrected. Directions for this quilt are found in Scrap Frenzy, among other places I'm sure as this is actually an old block. I am debating about adding borders to this one to enlarge it. I love the way everything came together with this one.





And lastly, the current work-in-progress. This lovely fabric has warmed the shelves of the china closet for 2 summers now. I just could not figure out what to do with Gracie that would really make me happy. There are still about 4 rows of blocks to finish piecing (I ran out of black!) and borders to add yet. Another instant favorite! I normally steer away from black in quilts as I tend to drift to the brights and pastels which call for whites but this one needed the black to make it work. Planned for the stopper/inner border is a lovely fleshy or salmon color. The outer border is still up in the air but I think something will fall in place once the blocks are finished.


Very little knitting has been happening as my right wrist is very tender. Hopefully, more rest will allow whatever is hurting to heal and knitting can resume. There has been, however, much reading. As a young girl, it drove my mother to distraction the number of times she would have to call me for dinner, chores, whatever because my nose was buried in a book. Didn't matter if I'd read it a hundred times already, I was still lost in my own world. Living miles from the nearest library meant new books were hard to come by so now that we live just a mile from the main branch, we make daily visits most weeks. I need to keep a reading journal so titles aren't lost to me.

Don't expect regular posting anytime soon. I plan to enjoy these last few weeks before school outside, reading, working on quilts and putzing around the garden. 2 tomatoes and 2 peppers have been devoured already with promises of many,many more!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

I love the asymmetry in the top photo. Blue and yellow is such a summery combination.

8/02/2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Your quilts are beautiful, although I have to say the last one is my favorite.

8/02/2007 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this couldn't have been on here since the 18th...I stop by more often than that!
Oh the quilts are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! You have such a gift!

8/03/2007 1:04 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Wow Jill, you have been a busy girl! Lovely work. I know that Gracie material! One of my Aunts made Grace a dress from it! LOL

8/03/2007 2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I do check over here all the time so I could share the verses I use every day to sign guestbooks.
Continuing to pray so very hard!
Psalms 3:4-5 I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.

8/04/2007 1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still lovin' the quilts! Still here praying for you!
Psalms 4:1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.

8/05/2007 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know that I'm still praying!
Psalms 4:3-4 But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

8/06/2007 12:39 AM  
Blogger Sew Chic said...

Your quilts are lovely!! Will you be quilting them by hand or machine?

Thank you for stopping by SewChic. I appreciate your comment.
Ruth

8/07/2007 10:18 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I am so jealous of your amazing quilting abilities! What I wouldn't give for the talent, and above all the patience, to produce such beautiful work. Thanks for sharing those pics!

8/09/2007 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home