Sunday, June 17, 2007

I LOVE cables

Finally a pair of grass green socks just for me! I am ashamed to admit how many times I've checked Sensational Socks out from our library (intralibrary loan no less!) without knitting a single sock. The first few times, I just couldn't understand the appeal of it to so many knitters. Cannot say that I really know what tripped my switch but I'm a convert now. I'm waiting patiently for the other SS books to become available through the library so I can check them out. It bites to live in a town without a bookstore.

Vital Stats for these lusicious green socks:

Pattern: 3x3 Cable with Moss Stitch from aforementioned book
Yarn: KP Palette in Grass. A note about this yarn: it can be splitty and isn't super soft but I bought it as a filler to get the free shipping last order. Depending on how it washes up, I'd probably use it again for my own personal socks just because it comes is so many colors, wonderfully shaded from light to dark.
Needles: Bamboo DPN, US 2.
I used the 68 stitch version of the pattern without knitting a swatch first. Why? Because I know in order to use my US2s, I typically cast on 52-56 stitches and cables pull in enough to likely taken in the "slack". My gamble paid off. These are just the perfect amount of tight-loose to be comfy and not leave a tourniquet mark at the end of the day.

Hubster told me he thought these were going to be the ugliest socks I'd ever knit when I started the first one. When I finished it, he declared it a keeper. I believe I'll be ordering some girly pink for E a pair at Christmas since she likes the cable action as well. And she could identify them as cables!

In other news:
Spent yesterday cutting out and stitching together some adorable Holly Hobbie dolls for 3 of my very favorite little girls in the world. (Hi, G&R!). The evening tv watching slot made quick work of stuffing 6 arms, 3 bodies and 2 legs. I have to finish sewing the remaining legs together today, then I will hunt up fabric from the stash for outfits. Their heads are made from children's socks which I keep forgetting to buy when I'm out. And I need to find a suitable yarn for their hair. I am tickled E wants her own HH doll but still loves mine. Poor old gal has had "surgery" to reattach every limb and her head at least twice. I believe she even had a hair replacement sometime in the late 70s. Well loved.

ETA: I usually steer away from politics(namely the war for oil issue) here but this young solider's blog is one of my new favorite reads. Go check out Jake's Life.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Wow, those are nice socks! I love how bright they are, and cables are one of my favorite things to knit. I'll put that pattern on my to-do list.

6/17/2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Love those socks!! I'm a sucker for cables and for green, so these are meltworthy.

6/18/2007 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home