Thursday, May 17, 2007

Clessidra and Skirt

I finished these weeks ago. They lay in a heap on the floor near my knitting spot crying silently to be modeled and packed away lovingly until fall. The sobs were just too much for me. Forgive the icky indoor shots, we are having a bit of dreary, cold weather and rather than wait another few days and endure more sobbing from the socks, I begged one of the resident photogs to get busy already.







Vital Stats: Clessidra from Spring '07 Knitty. Knit on US 1 dpns using less than 2 full hanks of Bare. Actual knitting time was about 2.5 weeks,I think. While I have a love-hate relationship with Knitpicks most of the time, Bare is heavenly. I do believe underwear could be knit from it and be an enjoyable wear. It's just that soft to me. I have no idea why this shot looks so pixelated to me, I hope it's clearer to everyone else. (This is the Sexy Leg pose for someone who knows what I'm talking about. haha)






I am bit embarassed to blog about this latest FO. Not because I am unhappy with the actual finished project but because I'm unhappy with how I look. Anyone over 25 can relate to that, I'm sure. Ignore the knee socks...the photog thought we were shooting kilt shots appearently. Also ignore the green shirt...I was too lazy to change into the pale yellow shirt I have for this skirt. So there.



Vital Stats: 100% cotton print found on the $1/yard table at Stuff*mart, packaged bias tapes (2 packages: one single fold, one double fold). Pattern drafted by yours truly based on directions found in this great book, Sew What! Skirts that I borrowed from the library. I made the A-line wrap skirt (called Breezy Beach Wrap in the book) but left the actual ties off since this is a muslin of sorts and I am toying with the idea of using snaps to close this. The total time invested in this project, including drafting the pattern, boiled down to one evening after dinner. We eat dinner at 5, baths start at 7:30, so that's fairly quick. Total cost for this skirt is roughly $5.00. Intended wear: vacation '07. Will I make another one? Probably, from denim and a smidge longer. Do I recommend this book for everyone? Definitely. I am not a talented sketcher at all, nor have I ever been able to draft a pattern from directions before. This book is well-written although I had to read it, lay it down and let the info stew a bit before it completely made sense to me. (Hey, Christy and Amanda, I think you both would find this book useful. Especially since you have girls to experiment with!)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Oh Clessidra, how I love thee. That's some seriously good work woman. Well done! And love the skirt! Looks great on you.

5/17/2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Well now, it's nice to see your smiling face! The skirt is really cute, and those socks are beyond fabulous. Congratulations!

5/17/2007 11:17 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Fantastic! Now I know I have to keep the book and break out the sewing machine. I love, love, love the print you used.

5/22/2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger JenW!~ said...

First off hello from a fellow Ohioan. Love your skirt. I happen to work in the fabric depatment of a certain store that sales $1 a yard fabric. I've found some great fabric and made outfits for about $5. Now thats a good bargain.

5/29/2007 4:40 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Oh....I have that book, but have not made a single skirt out of it....maybe now! :) Yours is lovely!

The socks are fantastic...Won't you be so happy with the first hint of fall?!!! :)

6/06/2007 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home