Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Is There A Sewing Gene?

This weekend was filled with fibery fun for the youngest duckling. For some time now, she's been pestering for lessons with the 'slow machine'. Pestering me to the brink of losing my mind. All I can say is thank goodness for older sisters (R) who spent an entire paycheck on a variable speed machine last year and is willing to share with E. I know, she's giving me that look in this shot, but believe me, she was/is all about the sewing.
Every day, she greets me not with "good morning, mama" but "CAN I SEW RIGHT NOW?" A large box of 6.5" squares has kept her occupied for days now. She can almost sew a perfectly straight line after 3 days of practice and I'm finding that sewing machine time is a powerful motivator with that child. Her grandmother and I have shared several laughs over her new-found obsession. We both cannot wait to see her in a quilt shop now that she understands how much fun we have.
One of the first things she designed and made on her own: a skirt for Barbie. I'm amazed with how she can just create like that without a pattern. R has that ability as well. I'm jealous. I admit it. Over the weekend, she has created numerous pillows and "blankets" for barbie and her merry band of cohorts. It made no difference that she already has a box full of this stuff...stuff I'd made for Christmas one year. Barbie now has pillows everywhere! I love it.

Thanks for falling in love with sewing so young, E. Practice often, long and love the art. I have no doubt you will soon surpass me.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Way to go, E!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like you're doing a great job!

4/18/2007 12:48 AM  
Blogger clothesknit said...

Yay for Princess E! I love the Barbie skirt. Think she can design one in my size? ;o)

BTW, the book arrived and the kids say THANK YOU!!!

4/18/2007 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun! And what a special thing to be able to share with the girls. :-)

4/22/2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Yeah, I think there's a gene. I got it from my grandmother, and Poppy seems to express the trait every now and again too.

Good for E!

4/23/2007 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home