Saturday, March 03, 2007

Mariah, I am stuck.

Earlier this week, I cast on for Mariah. This is a Christmas '07 knit. R requested this hoodie earlier in the fall and I was not sure she would wear it enough to warrant the work I thought it would take. Silly me, once I remembered how to cable without a needle and color coded my chart, the fun began. That is 6 inches of cable-y goodness right there, folks, on US 6, 2 stitch markers and 2 row counters because I am all about the organization. (ROFLOL). Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Hush. I have some reservations about using this yarn for cabling but it is what I had on hand to swatch with and what R likes so WoA Hush it is. An order must be sent soon as what you see is what I have left.


Now I am confused. Really, really confused by something that should be clear as water to me. Am I overthinking it or just stupid today? The directions (see above link)say that at 6 inches, increases begin. That part I get. Every sleeve must get wider at some point. What stumps me is this working increased sts in pattern as set in Chart A. Umm, how does this work out? I am confused as to how to figure out how to work the increased stitches in set pattern. HELP!! I think until I can figure this out (or browbeat someone into blowing the fog away) I will use the other end of the skein to cast on for the second sleeve. At least that way, the odd ball skein will be used uniformly and hopefully, if the next batch isn't the same dye lot, this will at least fool the eye a bit. Ya know, look like I planned it?!




The much sought after Trekking 126 sock. Ebay auction went above my limit. Mia may have a lead on some. My fingers are crossed. I love this colorway, which is a huge shock since I normally do not like browns. This pair will be for me after all. Because I hate to swatch for socks, I just cast on and went to town. Turns out 72 stitches on US 1s fits me fine. Only thing I should have done differently was the heel. Silly me used just stockinette stitch for this one and I really should have used eye of partridge or the heel stitch to pull it in some. Oh well. I will wear them no matter what.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

my best guess on the sleeve instructions is that you are making the increases on the sides of the charted pattern, so that the actual pattern is intact but has more stitches on either side. to me, that looks consistent with the pictures of the sweater as well. i'm no expert, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

the sleeve looks great so far, though! : )

3/03/2007 11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What IS chart A? If you are lucky it's seed stitch or soemthing where the increases happen and you can just incorporate the new stitches into that. (what Ren said)

3/04/2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger clothesknit said...

ok jill, you are going to keep the central st pattern in tact and increase on the sides (ie, the under part of the sleeve):

Work sleeve in patt as set until work measures 6 inches, ending with a WS row.
Increase Row [RS]: K1, m1, work in patt as set to last st, m1, k1.

That is your increase -- working them on the edges where they'll evenutally be seamed and under the arm. So do an increase row, then work the pattern rows for as many rounds indicated:
*Work 9[7, 6, 5, 5] rows in patt as set.

Work Increase Row. Now it's second verse, same as the first slowly working those increases:
Rep from * 9[12, 15, 17, 17] times more, working increased sts in patt as set in Chart A. 86[92, 98, 102, 102] sts.

Remember to end on a WS row. Trust me, you can do this...you're just having a brain fart ;o)

3/04/2007 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous - I'm jealous. I just fell in love with cables and wanna do more. Sounds like you got your answer - just keep the middle stitches the same but knit the extra increased stitches as well.

I'm in love with your sock yarn - absolutely gorgeous!

3/04/2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Looks like you got good answers to your question.

The cables are lovely. I have a special fondness for braid cables like the one up the center of your sleeve.

3/04/2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Jill! I know nothing about knitting so can't help you there! But had to say, that sock is just stunning!!! Very cute! Seems a shame to wear a shoe or boot over it and hide all your fantastic work! :)

3/07/2007 6:36 PM  
Blogger jill said...

Ladies,
Thanks for the encouragement. Mariah will be coming out of time-out this weekend when lessons are not calling us.

Helen: Unless we have snow or I am on a job site (construction) with my father, I wear clogs. Constantly. I refuse to hide the prettiness of my socks.

Julie: Go ahead and drool over my socks. ::tongue sticking out:: I wear the blue ones I knit from yarn you sent a long time ago and smile just knowing you thought of me when you found that clearanced basket o' yarn!

3/08/2007 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home