Saturday, February 24, 2007

Spring/summer sewing season is upon us. Miss E has a list of clothing she would like to have along with a stack of fabrics. Perfect way to spend the snowy cold days we had last week. Luckily, she tends to fixate on one or two simple patterns and "gussy" them up with trims or whatever. That means I can assembly-line sew them and accomplish almost an entire season's wardrobe in a single day.
Vital Stats: Simplicity 4208, view C, size 8. No alterations for this shirt. Fabric is 100% cotton picked up at Joann's most likely.



This icicles are now long gone but I thought they were awfully pretty whatever day I snapped this. Location: my back porch. Camera: the crap-tastic Olympus Camedia D-395. Taken mid-day or possibly afternoon judging from the shadows.



And finally, Hubster's new shirt. The project that ate Idunnoville, Ohio and consumed many hours due to the dark fabric combined with our dark house.
Vital Stats: Simplicity 7030 (oop now maybe),View A, size XL, gifted cordoury, buttons purchased at the Stuf*mart. Hubster loves it and I'm not crazy about it.
Things I would do differently if I could: lighter weight fabric for yoke, neckband facings and the underside of the collar. This cordoury is too heavy for multiple layers in those areas, imo. He says it is warm and given the meds he takes, he needs warm at times.
Things I did do differently and plan to repeat: no button or buttonhole on the collar, left off the next button as well. He never buttons up that far (he's a layering man) so why waste time and a button?


I have been knitting on the endless green blob of a cardigan for Hubster. I am now on sleeve island and enjoying it so far. This project will be a Christmas 2007 gift now because I am certain I cannot finish it before the weather turns too warm for 100% wool garments. And that is fine since he usually gets the short end of the stick. I also have a baby sweater on the needles along with the required sock. J was gone today so the sock pic will have to wait until tomorrow so I can use her Fuji camera for a great shot.

Thanks to reader Ruth who blogs over at SewChic, the hunt for Trekking XXL 126 may be over. Ebay has several listed and I bid on one today. We'll know tomorrow if my luck holds out. I think I may be blowing the yarn budget which does not exist but Jane shared with me that 126 is rather hard to come by and I really do love this colorway so a little over is ok this once. If I win this one, then I am going on a yarn diet which is funny considering I really don't buy much yarn in a year (less than $125 in 12 months). Our annual Michigan trip will be coming up soon and I would love to stop at ThreadBear on the way to pick up in person some Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock in the UofM colorway. Kills my BUCKEYE heart to do it, but R loves UofM and has asked for socks in blue and gold 2 years running now. I figure that if at least one girl is getting something out of the stop, they won't throw a pink hizzy about a yarn store. LOL.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

You've gotta get rid of those icicles! They can really hurt people!
I'm not likin' ebay right now. Trying to bid on a book that goes to an old sewing machine for a friend of mine and people keep sniping me! First time with 16 seconds to go and tonight with 2 seconds to go. That's cheating!
Stopping by to let you know I'm still here and still praying!
Ps 61:1-4: Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

2/25/2007 12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still can't get over that you sew shirts! Everything looks wonderful. Including the icicles - I hope nobody lost an eye. heh

2/25/2007 9:32 AM  
Blogger clothesknit said...

when are you thinking of going to threadbear? i'll make it a point of marking the calendar so i can officially be jealous :o)

lots of sewing going on...good for you! i did manage the cape this afternoon and your instructions were perfect. mwah! big kiss to you...pics coming soon!

2/25/2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

The shirt for your daughter is great! I think I'll to try to make a few for my daughter as well. And the assembly line is the only way to go.

You know, I'm in awe of your ability to sew men's shirts!

2/26/2007 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home