Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sewing Still Life Series 1





Some time ago, I was given several "hanks" of fabric suitable to use for Hubster some new winter shirts. This is the slow progress of making a man's shirt using a dark plaid corduroy, poor lighting and general dis-interest. Now I remember why quilts and children's clothing appeals to me so much: simple, fast and painless. Much less marking too. Lord, I hate marking for sewing! But Hubster needed new winter shirts and the thrift store is so disorganized, sewing them from free fabric with a free pattern makes the most sense. Only cost so far has been the $1.24 for buttons. I could have dug around in the button jars but I know there are not 9 matching (or even close) 1/2" buttons that would work. Besides, I was at Stuff*mart anyhow so rather than make a second trip, just picked them up while there. Maybe I would like working on this shirt more if there had been enough yardage to match each piece properly. There was just enough to squeak out all the pieces. So far, they match up fairly well...thank heavens for small plaids! Hubster does not care if it is done 'right' or not, just so he has a new shirt without a shredded sleeve.

We are alive and warm despite the frigid Artic air. Today, I think the high was 14 before the wind chill. One venture out the door was enough for me this morning. The bird feeders needed filled, Hubster should not be out in such cold air and I wanted to see just how tough I am. WIMP. I bundled up before going out and still froze in the 4.5 minutes it took to fill both feeders! WIMP! Oh well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure the birdies appreciated the huge sacrifice that you made! And am sure the "Hubster" appreciates the shirt!
Sharing a good passage today:
Heb.4:14-16: Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

2/04/2007 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so impressed! I would never try to make a shirt (buttonholes make me queasy). That is soooooo cool!

2/05/2007 8:48 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Okay, so where's series 2?
[ducking]

Ps 37:23-24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

2/07/2007 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home