Monday, January 08, 2007

Gearing Up for Fun

If you are a knitter and you haven't seen this latest knit-drive at Kate's, run and check it out. That is after you extract yourself from the rock you've been hiding under.

I mention this knit-drive because as you know, it hits close to home for the Duck family. SIL is still battling, rather mightly and quite bravely I add, ovarian cancer and has complained that the wig she was given is either too small or itchy. Hubster wasn't clear on which. And her wool hat I knit her is sometimes too warm thanks to the unseasonable temps we've seen the past few weeks. So before I knit any fun fur hats for the kids who want them, SIL is going to receive a few in various wild colors. She gets a kick out of standing out these days and I want to help. Her laughter a few weeks ago was music to our ears when she and BIL ventured the few blocks for a visit. She came in the door wearing her punk-rock purple-ish hat just grinning to beat the band, declaring that she always wanted to have purple hair. Let's see how she feels about blue and hot pink hair then!

I think I am almost back to normal. It will take me a while longer to get over being tired but all in all, things are moving along. I'm cooking again, thanks to some inspiration from Thicket Dweller and her talk of food. Nothing as great as what she's been whipping up but we're getting there. The house is cleaner, thanks in part to the girls. Knitting is moving along and I've actually mended several things and am working on altering some thrifted jeans for E. She has long legs and a little skinny seat so most of her jeans need elastic added. Why are there never any kids' belts at the thrift store? Good thing I bought that huge bolt of sportswear elastic last fall...literal pennies a pair!

School is finally back on track somewhat as well. R loves OHVA but J and E, no way. J's main beef is the staff. Some of the replies she has received from high school instructors are unbelievable. 2 teachers we like and 2 we don't. E's beef is that she wants to learn on her own, what she wants when she wants. Which works for her because she is a curious kid. However, OHVA has been good for her as far as phonics and handwriting go so I'm sticking the year out. Whether we do OHVA again next year is still up for debate. I expect a conversation or two with an e-friend (hi, Denice!) will help me find the light again.

So that's it in a nutshell. Bring on the fun fur, I'm feeling a little muppet-fever coming on!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

glad to hear that you're starting to feel better! i hope that progress continues! : )

i'm excited about knitting up some fun fur hats, too!

1/08/2007 10:44 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TIM!!!!!! Going to send a card but was trying to get through my guestbooks first. Here's the verse for the day!
No matter what happens in this life, the victory is already won!
I Jn 5:4-5: For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
The Prayer Bears Website

1/09/2007 12:14 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

You didn't open up Tim's card! I sent a card! Did you tell him happy birthday for me?
Today's posting:
Can't ever go wrong with a passage from the psalms! These words are so very comforting. Know that I'm here praying for you as always!
Ps 9:9-10: The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
The Prayer Bears Website

1/10/2007 12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home