Monday, December 18, 2006

During the week leading up to Thanksgiving, blogland was filled with elogant posts about being thankful and feasts and family. Missing from that particular chorus was me. Not that I was feeling unthankful, I just could not find the words. So what if I'm a few weeks late?

Things I am thankful for:

Friends who know when to jump in and bale out the boat. Double the thanks when they do it repeatedly within a short-time frame. (Hiya, BS!)

Friends who send me goodies in the mail. Sometimes because I've asked and others for no reason other than they like me.

Prayers from people I barely know, both during the bright and dark times.

My father who never fails to surprise and amaze me.

My daughters. Their laughter fills the house, the van and the air outside. Their wisdom astounds me, their drive for more knowledge is incredible.

Things I'd rather not have to be thankful for but am just the same:

ERs and the staff

Surgeons and nurses.

Pain meds

Antibiotics

My La-Z-Boy living room suite (thanks again, Dad!) with built-in recliners.

A bathroom on the first floor.



No one believes me when I tell them just how ill I have been because of the useless appendix which decided to become a time-bomb in my gut. Today is the first day I have been able to shower AND accomplish something else. And I hardly call a load of towels washed at 4:30AM something else. It was a much needed washing since the current need for clean, freshly laundered towels is overpowering my frugal senses. This infection-filled incision is just vile and I won't risk spreading the infection to either another site on my body or to a family member.


And who knew that "playing with knittin' sticks" could be so completely draining? I can hear Amanda telling me how I make her look like a slacker when I rattle off the list of finished knitting, but knitting, sleeping, showering and irrigating wounds is all I have done since I came home, literally. There has been no teaching of the young ones, although they are doing a bang-up job of educating each other! In that time, I have finished (and Hubster delivered) SIL's hat, a pair of wrist warmers for Duck, a pair for J, that baby sweater, accomplished 17 rows on the never-ending-green-blob-raglan-cardigan for Hubster, a pair of mittens for next year and 1/2 another pair. While I am bored with the current projects, I have made a commitment to have at least a dozen pairs of mittens done by mid-Nov 2007, so why not tackle them now? A little research on Fibonacci and the mittens are at least more interesting. Does that make me a math geek now? LOL. Pictures may be forcoming if J will do a photo shoot for me some time soon.

If you've made it this far, I hope Santa is very good to you, that the reindeer resist the urge to leave anything more than a footprint and that Frosty comes to life for you. We all need a little magic. ;o) Thank you all for the get well wishes and sharing the laughter with me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You take care, and take it easy on yourself. Surgery is no small thing.

12/19/2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you were feeling better. I'm thinking of you often. Get some rest and take care of yourself.

12/19/2006 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home