Friday, January 26, 2007

Spelling Bee

Miss E competed in her very first spelling bee today. After a meltdown this morning at home, she did just fine. Placed 3rd in her division, which I think is just awesome for a little one in the 1st grade who spelled mainly against 3rd graders. She, of course, was upset but after the winner came over and told her she did a great job, E perked up a bit. I must say, I was very proud of E for remembering our discussion about good sportsmanship. She was the only child I saw congratulate the winner and shake her hand. But my proudest moment was when she spelled "FROM" correctly. That word has given her fits for weeks. Not today. She rattled it off like it was her name! And spelled "WON" correctly. Hubster was sure she would miss it, I think. The word that seated her: "half". That pesky "lf" combo is one we haven't covered yet in phonics so she spelled the word "haf", like it sounds. For a kid spelling against older, assumed more advanced readers/spellers and considering she's only been reading for a few months, she is THE SUPER SPELLER around here.

And yes, Lynn...I'll try to figure out how to get a picture of her at the bee off the borrowed camcorder and into the blog so you can see more of what you and Ed are missing. Come back east!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Holy Spell Check, she's a jeenus much unlike her antie Jan!!!

I'm bursting with pride...too bad I couldn't be there, I would have worn a t-shirt that said, "I'm almost the jeenuses ant!"

Hug that kid for me, will ya?

Anty Jan

1/26/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger clothesknit said...

Awesome! Tell her I think she rocks!

1/26/2007 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one proud auntie at this end! And I'd better see some pics!

1/27/2007 1:16 AM  
Blogger Ren said...

oooh, congratulations to E! : )

1/27/2007 2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not seeing any pics!
Thought this was an appropriate passage since tomorrow is Sunday. Know that I'm still here praying!
Ps 27:4-5: One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

1/28/2007 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kiddo! What a great job.

1/28/2007 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! You must be so proud.

1/28/2007 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home