Friday, December 09, 2005

For my Southern friends


This is for my friend, Kris m who begged for snowy pictures. This isn't from today's snowfall. I am not really sure which day J snapped this shot but we have more now and are expecting another snowfall sometime during the weekend. Need I state that snow + cold = quilting and knitting time for moi?

My Knitpicks order arrived yesterday. A mere 12 or so hours after I placed my order! I splurged for the 3rd day shipping so hopefully I could whip out a pair or two of Christmas socks. Hubster requested a pair, finally (his first) and even picked out the yarn. I am too lazy right now to go hunting up the color and all that but it's KP's Parade line with a maroon-ish and black striping. Very manly for my man. Also in the order was my first ever ::gasp:: Addi turbo. I think I am in love! So much that I ordered a second one this afternoon even though I should NOT be spending any more money at this point. Rounding out the order was the Simple Stripes Sampler. Seemed like a wise move considering I have 5 kiddos in my life who enjoy handknit socks and a passion for wearing them myself.

For those not on the 2 socks on 2 circs bandwagon yet, let me encourage you to jump on. I have to admit to a huge bout of stupidity when I first heard about this method. I dutifully checked Cat Bordi's book out from the library and sat pondering it more than once. For the life of me, I could not get how this would work out...seemed like it could not work out to be in the round work. Then I browsed Knitpicks patterns and found Kelly's wonderfully detailed directions for toe-up on 2 circs. DUH! The light came on. I cast on last night for Hubster's socks using the called for 12 sts and ended up with a pointy-toed, elf looking thing that wouldn't even fit E's 6 yo toes. Frog pond visited then I cast on using 32 sts (Hubster has wide feet) and WOW! What a difference! A mere 2.5 hours spent knitting this evening has yielded 2 toe-up socks that are to the ball of his feet. I am done with the toe increases (I think) and will hopefully get close to the heel point by tomorrow night. The progress would be even greater if I had ignored my practical, penny-pinching voice and just ordered TWO Addis to start with. One Addi and one Boye are working but the Boye has that hinky join/curve thing and it is a pain for this. I am considering offering them on ebay for the original purchase price ($35) plus shipping...will sell them otherwise if anyone out there in blogland is interested.

My dining room table is groaning under a van load of treasures from my father's house. Mini Christmas trees, a new lamp, things to put on eBay for him, a huge seashell collection, boxes of travel books for the girls to enjoy. He decided to clean house in preparation for a possible move and said "Come get your stuff". One thing I thought was MIA which came home with me: his boyhood Roy Rogers copper bank. I have memories of this being on our mantle as a girl and am delighted it is living on my desk currently. He suggested I eBay it but a quick search last night revealed a similar one at $17.50. I think the memories are worth more to me. When I look at that bank, I see a completely different side of him and I like that view.

Well, I think I am going to head to bed with my library book: What They didn't Teach You About World War II by Mike Wright. Being the granddaughter of a WWII vet, the era has always fascinated me because my grandparents never talked about it, period. This book is a must-read for any history buff. 'Nuff said there for the time being.

Stay warm, dry, safe and sleep well....I will return soon with pics. PROMISE!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the snow pic. It looks so pretty.

I can cast on the two socks on two circs but at that point I become totally dumbfounded as to how to proceed. This is something I'll need to figure out when life is a bit more "normal".

12/09/2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Ohhhhh, I'm so jealous. Spare a thought for we southerners that are so far south (as in southern hemisphere) it is sweltering. The only bearable time of the day is about two hours AFTER the sun goes down until about 7am - then the sun starts scorching another day. It's been 30C+ here for the past week, and humid. I'm wilting! Though I think a couple of weeks of snow and I'd be ready to come back to an Aussie Christmas.

12/09/2005 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home