Saturday, May 24, 2008

Random Family Things

Yesterday afternoon was spent sorting through 90+ years of photographs with my mother to find some great pics of Nana for the photo board. Those who know me well understand what a chore this was in some ways. I won't say anything else on that particular subject for now.

WOW! The memories we'd forgotten. Photos of Nana without a child are so few in numbers it astounded me. I believe we found a picture of every single grandchild, great-grandchild and at least one great-great-grandchild to put on the board. I love that my mother let me choose more than she did. The ones I picked were not only with one of her children or the grands but with one of her many faces. Every kid knows the faces: surprise, shock, anger, delight. I wonder how many of my cousins will have the same reaction to seeing them all again?

I also loved that my mother let me talk into displaying a picture of all my grandparents together in about 1951 with my parents as toddlers, my aunt as a baby and several of my uncles. One of my very favorite stories from my grandmothers (they both told it numerous times) was how my paternal grandmother went to stay with Nana after the birth of son#3, to help around the house as was the custom then. She was all of 18, Nana would have been 28 or so then. The reason I love this story so much is that not only is it a prime example of the friendship they shared for most of their lives but also because when J was born, Nana came to stay to help around our house. She was 79 and 11/12th when J was born! She came again to stay when R was born 2 years later. She folded mountains of laundry that visit, I remember.

Because of the holiday weekend and an appearant busier than usual time for the funeral home, her services aren't until the 28th (wake the 27th). Most of our house is packed up so I have no real distraction from the impending stress of so much family at once. 50 or more of us in one room may well do me in.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

(((hugs))) I'm glad you were able to spark some fond memories by going through your photos.

5/25/2008 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home